Saturday, January 17, 2015

Sweet Chex Mix and Trying to Start This Up Again!!

Hey Everyone!! Wow! I have been gone FOREVER! A little over two years to be exact! I actually didn't plan on my first blog post back to be a recipe, but it's all good.  I have been wanting to post about things that have happened or are happening now in my life and lessons that I have learned.  What's sad is that every time I try to write the post about that I draw a complete blank.  I think I am trying or thinking too hard with it.  I am not proud of how some of those lessons were learned, but happy that life has turned around.

OK-so let's talk about Sweet Chex Mix!  I had this for the first time at a Bunco Night at a friend's house-YEARS AGO.  I remember the first time I tasted it.  It was like a sweet taste of Heaven in every bite.  Well, for me it was! It's truly easy to make!

Here's what you'll need:


*1/2 cup or 1 stick of butter
*1 cup of light Karo or corn syrup
*1 cup of sugar
*1/2 box of Rice Chex
*1/2 box of Corn Chex
*1 small (2-3oz) bag of slivered almonds
----We have used cashews that we chopped up and that was good as well!----
*1-1/2 cups or more of dried cranberries
*1-1/2 cups or more of shredded, sweetened coconut
*1 teaspoon or tablespoon of vanilla

You will also need a BIG BOWL.  I have a 32 cup Tupperware bowl, a small sauce pan, a wooden spoon, a timer, and 2-3 cookie sheets or trays.


Mix together the Chex cereals, slivered almonds, dried cranberries, and shredded coconut.  I actually use my hands for this process. Mix together and set aside.



In the small sauce pan, melt the butter over medium to medium high heat. 


Once the butter is melted, pour in the Karo syrup and sugar.Start stirring this.  You are going to want to stir constantly.  Once the mixture starts to bubble or boil start your timer and keep stirring for 3 minutes and 30 seconds.



Once the 3 and a half minutes is up, remove the pan from the heat and stir in the vanilla.

Be careful-sometimes the vanilla being poured into the mixture will cause it to pop a bit. After the vanilla is poured in then pour the sugar mixture into the cereal mixture and stir to combine.  


After the cereal and sugar mixture are combined-spread the Chex Mix on the cookie sheets or trays to cool.  



Once the Chex Mix is cooled down (approximately 30 minutes), you can store it in a 2-1/2 gallon Ziploc Bag.

Well, there you have it! I hope you and your family enjoy it as much as my family and friends do! 

I am really going to keep blogging frequently since I have missed it.

Feel free to follow me and comment! :)

See you soon! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment