Monday, March 16, 2009

Wally and Jon

This layout has been on hold for 4 years. Those of you that know us, know that my father-in-law, Wally, passed in October 2004. It has been hard to even look at pictures of him and Jon, let alone scrap them. I want to first tell you about the beautiful relationship Jon and Wally shared. I remember being pregnant with Jon and finding out we were having a boy. We (Garth and I) immediately went to his mom and dad's house to tell them the news and show the pictures of our new baby boy. Wally was so happy for us and I am sure happy that he was going to have another Grandson. The other grandson was not the Sporty kind of kid so he was hoping this new one would be a little easier to hang around with, I am sure. He even asked if the baby was wearing hockey skates. I joked and told him that would only be if he was delivering the baby. ;)

I still have video from the day Jonathan Thomas Floen was born on June 10th, 1999. Everyone was happy, especially Wally! That twinkle in his eyes (we call it the Floen Twinkle, since my Hubby and Jon both have it) was just beautiful that day as he gazed at my son. To me, he look proud of this "new little friend".

When Jon was finally ready to be able to go out and hang around with Wally without feedings or diaper changes....the fun started. Wally would take Jon downtown to visit friends and to go to look at his stocks (I think). He also took him swimming (he had Jon swimming by age 3) and to the park and also for ice cream. :) They were so close.

In October 2004, Jon was signed up for his first year of hockey. It would be easy for him, since Grandpa already taught him how to skate. That first practice was a bummer for me since Wally was on an opposite end from Garth and Jon. But, Jon was just happy knowing that Grandpa and Daddy were there.

Sadly enough, 2 days later Wally was no longer with our family. It hit everyone very hard, as he was always there for ALL of us. Most of all, it hit my hubby who said his father was his best friend and the only one he could talk to and Jon. Jon still wears Wally's denim NY Yankees baseball cap and still has a framed picture of him, Wally and Garth that we took while visiting family in Calgary.

This Layout was done using a picture that is one of my favorites of Wally and Jon. I have many copies of it as I cherish it because of the love it exudes. :)

Supplies used: CTMH Outdoor Denim Cardstock
Ranger Paint Dabber-Gold
Tim Holtz Idea-o-logy Long Brads
Heidi Swapp- Ghost Clock (timeless)
Ranger/Tim Holtz Alcohol inks- cranberry, denim and silver and gold mixatives
Blending Solution
Tsukineko Fantastix for coloring the clocks dots and specifics
metal embellies were from a pack from a Sam's Club combo

No comments:

Post a Comment